When choosing a wig, we want to know if it's worth it. There are many things to consider like wig color, texture, length, style, and "how long do wigs last" is one of the most important things you want to know. In general, high-quality human hair wigs last longer than synthetic wigs. Today, this blog provides detailed information about how long do wigs last and what affects wig lifespan.
How Long Do Wigs Last?
The lifespan of a wig depends on various factors, such as the quality of the wig, how often it is worn, how well it is cared for, and the type of hair used. Generally, high-quality wigs made from human hair can last for up to a year or more with proper care, while synthetic wigs have a shorter lifespan of about 6-8 months. However, it's important to note that the frequency of wear and maintenance habits can also affect the durability and longevity of a wig.
Factors That Affect the lifespan of A Wig
There are several factors that can affect the lifespan of a wig, including:
1. Quality of the wig: The quality of the wig's construction, materials, and craftsmanship can affect how long it lasts.
2. Type of hair: Human hair wigs generally last longer than synthetic wigs, but the grade of hair used can also affect how long it lasts.
3. Frequency of wear: The more often a wig is worn, the faster it will wear out.
4. Maintenance habits: Proper care and maintenance, such as regular cleaning and brushing, can help prolong the lifespan of a wig.
5. Climate: Exposure to harsh environmental conditions, such as extreme heat or cold, can affect the durability of a wig.
6. Styling practices: Excessive heat styling or using harsh chemicals on the wig can cause damage and reduce its lifespan.
By taking these factors into consideration, you can better understand how to care for your wig and extend its lifespan.
How to Make A Human Hair Wig Last Longer
To make a human hair wig last longer, here are some tips:
1. Handle the wig gently: Be gentle when brushing or styling the wig to prevent damaging the hair strands.
2. Wash the wig properly: Use a sulfate-free shampoo and conditioner to wash the wig, and avoid rubbing or wringing the hair. Gently pat the hair dry with a towel and let it air dry.
3. Store the wig properly: Keep the wig on a mannequin head or a wig stand when not in use to maintain its shape and prevent tangling.
4. Protect the wig from heat: Avoid exposing the wig to excessive heat from styling tools or direct sunlight.
5. Avoid harsh chemicals: Avoid using harsh chemicals, such as bleach or hair dye, on the wig.
6. Schedule professional cleaning and maintenance: Take the wig to a professional stylist for periodic cleaning and maintenance to keep it looking its best.
By following these tips and taking good care of your wig, you can extend its lifespan and keep it looking great for longer.
How to Make a synthetic Wig Last Longer
Here are some tips to make a synthetic wig last longer:
1. Store your wig properly by keeping it on a wig stand or mannequin head when not in use. This helps to maintain the shape of the wig.
2. Wash your wig regularly with a wig shampoo and conditioner specifically designed for synthetic wigs. This helps to keep the wig clean and free from dirt and oil buildup.
3. Avoid exposing your wig to heat sources such as direct sunlight, blow dryers, or curling irons. This can cause damage to the fibers of the wig.
4. Use a detangling spray or wig comb to gently brush out any tangles or knots in the wig.
5. Avoid sleeping in your wig as this can cause tangling and matting of the hair fibers.
6. Consider purchasing a wig cap to wear underneath your wig to help protect your scalp and prevent oils and sweat from transferring to the wig.
7. Be gentle when handling your wig, especially when putting it on or taking it off, to avoid stretching or damaging the cap or hair fibers.
Why Do Human Hair Wigs Last Longer than Synthetic Wigs?
Human hair wigs tend to last longer than synthetic wigs for several reasons:
1. Durability: Human hair is stronger and more durable than synthetic fibers, which tend to be more fragile and prone to breakage.
2. Styling versatility: Human hair wigs can be styled and colored just like natural hair, which allows for more versatility in styling options without damaging the wig.
3. Realistic look and feel: Human hair wigs look and feel more realistic than synthetic wigs, and can be styled to match the wearer's natural hair texture and color.
4. Longevity: Human hair wigs can last up to a year or more with proper care, while synthetic wigs typically have a shorter lifespan of about 6-8 months. While human hair wigs are generally more expensive than synthetic wigs, their durability and versatility make them a good long-term investment for those who wear wigs regularly.
How To Make A Lace Closure Wig For Beginners
How To Melt Lace Wig
How To Put On A Wig
How To Pluck A Wig
How To Keep Wig From Tangling